J. Roy Rowland Federal Courthouse won the 2005 BOMA Atlanta TOBY Award in the Historical Building category. The property was managed by General Services Administration (GSA), where Janet Johnson was responsible for managing the property.
An excerpt from the building’s TOBY award entry is below:
Occupying a prominent place at the head of Franklin Street in downtown Dublin, Georgia, the J. Roy Rowland Federal Courthouse sits back-to-back with the Laurens County Courthouse. It was constructed between 1935 and 1937 in the Georgian Revival style by Louis A. Simon, the famous WPA-era Supervising Architect for the U.S. Treasury Department.
While relatively small, the importance of the J. Roy Rowland Federal Courthouse to its surrounding community can hardly be overstated. To many local residents, the building itself symbolizes this small middle-Georgia community. While preserving and restoring the building’s historical character, GSA’s 2003 renovation project incorporated many state-of-the-art improvements including security, lighting, HVAC, heating and EMS equipment, an upgraded elevator, handicapped accessibility features, updated finishes in tenant suites, and much more.
At the time of wining this award, occupants included the United States District Court, Southern District of Georgia, the US Marshal Service, Probation, the US Attorney, FBI, US Postal Service, Natural Resources Conservation Service, the USDA Farm Service Agency, and the General Services Administration.